The object of the Ladies’ Guild of Change Ringers as stated in our rules is: to bring together ringers both nationally and within local districts, to encourage new ringers, and to improve the standard of ringing amongst women.
We provide a supportive network of members who will help you achieve new goals within ringing, whether to try a new method, to ring a quarter peal or to call something new.
The Ladies Guild is organised into geographic districts, with events organised by individual districts and by the Guild as a whole. More information about the Guild is here.
This list shows planned future dates for all districts in the Ladies Guild. Please contact the webmistress to add to or update this list. For more details about an event, see the relevant district page, or contact the district officers.
For general information about the Ladies Guild, see About the Guild.
- Sat 3rd May 10 bell practice at St Clement Danes, Westminster (10, 21 cwt). All welcome, details below.
- Mon 5th May Nothants District outing
- Sat 31st May Marches District meeting
- Sat 7th June Eastern District, quarterly district meeting in Cambridgeshire. First tower Fulbourn at 10 am. Details here.
- Sat 14th June Central District Annual General Meeting for the whole Ladies Guild. Programme available here.
- Sat 19th July Northants District evening ringing
- Sat 26th July Southern District meeting, details here.
- Sat 30th August Marches District meeting
- Sat 13th September Eastern District, quarterly district meeting in Norfolk.
- Sat 20th September Northants District morning ringing
- Sat 1st November Eastern District quarterly district meeting in Essex
- Sat 29th November Marches District meeting
- Category: Kent
- Published on Wednesday, 26 March 2014 20:16
- Written by Helen Webb
- Hits: 99
Another 10 bell practice will be held at St Clement Danes, Westminster,
from 1.30pm to 4pm
on Saturday 3rd May.
All members and friends are welcome. We will focus on plain hunt on 9 and Grandsire Triples and Caters.
We have the opportunity to ring a quarter peal on the bells at 12 noon: we will probably ring triples or major;
if you would like a rope please send me an e-mail by 15th April:
- Category: AGM 2014
- Published on Wednesday, 19 February 2014 10:40
- Written by Janet Garnett
- Hits: 152
LADIES GUILD AGM 2014 - Saturday 14th June
There will be a 12 bell Practice at Amersham on Friday evening - June 13th 7.00pm – 9.00pm
On Saturday 14th June, there are two ringing routes in the morning, combining for the afternoon
North Route from Edlesborough to Ellesborough
- 9.00am – 10.00am Edlesborough (6)
- 10.00am – 11.00am Aldbury (6)
- 11.00am – 12.00pm Wendover (8)
- 12.00pm – 1.00pm Ellesborough (6)
South Route from Lane End to Great Kimble
- 9.00am – 10.00am Lane End (6)
- 10.00am – 11.00am West Wycombe (8 )tbc
- 11.00am – 12.00pm Hughenden (8)
- 12.00pm – 1.00pm Great Kimble (6)
- 1.00pm – 2.00pm Bledlow (8)
- 1.30pm – 2.30pm Monks Risborough (6)
- 2.45pm – 3.30pm Haddenham (8)
3.30pm Service at Haddenham – Reverend Janet Ridgeway officiating
4.30pm Tea at Long Crendon Church Rooms
5.15pm AGM at Long Crendon Church Rooms
6.30pm – 7.30pm Ringing at Long Crendon (10) (or when we are ready to ring). Please tell us if you want to ring first so you can leave as early as possible to start your journey home.
Tickets for ringing and for tea will be available nearer the time - watch this space!
- Category: QP 2014
- Published on Saturday, 08 February 2014 17:46
- Written by Janet Stevenson
- Hits: 297
The East Midlands Branch are very grateful to Alison Williams for coming to help them by calling a quarter peal to celebrate their 10th anniversary. This was rung after their ADM on 8th February 2014. It is also to congratulate Betty Baines on her MBE
Coleorton Leics. St Mary Virgin 12cwt
1260 Plain Bob Minor 44 mins
Diane Moore 1, Janet Stevenson 2, Joan Bird 3, June Wright 4, Val Webb 5, Alison R Williams 6 (C)
- Category: About the Guild
- Published on Tuesday, 31 December 2013 18:27
- Written by Janet Garnett
- Hits: 277
Congratulations to Betty Baines who is appointed MBE in the New Year's Honours list “For services to Bell Ringing in Norfolk and North Suffolk”.
In the Eastern District newsletter, Lesley Steed writes:
'The BBC website reported that Betty had been ringing for more than 50 years and that she has taught hundreds of people to ring church bells since the 1980s. She said to be given the honour “feels fantastic, it's an amazing feeling".
The Ringing World website said “We were delighted to hear that Mrs Betty Baines of Diss, Norfolk was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s New Year Honours – “For services to Bell Ringing in Norfolk and North Suffolk”.
There was also a front-page article in the Diss Express. It said that Betty has held national and regional bell ringing posts and said “Her honour is made poignant following the death of her husband, Tony Baines, last year. He was well-known in the area as a church bell hanger.” Betty was quoted as saying, “You never stop learning with bell ringing. No two churches are the same and no two bells are the same... It is also the friendship that goes with it. You meet people from all walks of life and get to visit wonderful buildings that sometimes are not always open to the public.”
She is the current tower captain at St Mary’s Church in Diss, and her list of ringing posts held is extensive. She has held most offices in the Southern Branch of the Norwich Diocesan Association of Ringers (NDA) and has served diligently for many years at national level of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers for the NDA. Since the 1980s she has been involved with the Ladies’ Guild of Change Ringers. Between 2001 and 2004 she served as the National President of the Ladies’ Guild of Change Ringers and is currently Ringing Master of the Eastern District of the Ladies’ Guild.
Congratulations from us all, Betty, we were thrilled to hear about your honour!'
Ladies Guild members have rung quarter peals in Betty's honour, see Quarter Peals in 2014 for details.Picture courtesy of Diss Express, to order a copy please visit www.dissexpress.co.uk
- 10 Bell Practice, St Clement Danes, 22/02/2014
- Young Lady Ringer Award 2014
- New format for quarter peals - Dec 2013
- East Midlands Celebrated! Ten Year Anniversary
- Young Lady Ringer Award 2013
- Southern District Peal, September 2013
- Quarter peal at the Bradfield ringing course 17/08/2013
- AGM 2013 - election of officers
- Welcome to Elizabeth Davey 03/07/2013
- Centenary book